Your Optometrist in Parker, CO, Offers Expert Advice
Cataracts take a long time to develop, and it is typical for the early signs to go unnoticed. However, as they grow, they will begin to affect your vision. Once they interfere significantly with your vision, cataract surgery is the recommended treatment. However, when the symptoms are still mild, many people opt to wait before scheduling cataract surgery. During this period, there are a number of ways to manage and enhance your vision with early cataracts. Visit Dr. Vaske, your Walmart eye doctor near me for a comprehensive eye exam to assess the condition of your cataracts.
Early Signs & Symptoms of Cataracts
When cataracts are early, you may experience the following symptoms:
- Cloudy or blurred vision
- Glare from lights, halos around oncoming traffic at night, sunlight, or outdoor lighting
- Colors appear less bright and dimmer
- Double vision
- Poor vision at night
- Sudden improvement in near vision
If you have any of the above signs, do not delay – schedule an eye exam with your experienced optometrist in the Walmart Supercenter in Parker, CO.
Ways to Deal with Cataracts Before Surgery
Although cataract surgery is really the gold standard for treating this eye disease, many people can live with early cataracts for a while before surgery is necessary. These tips can help you cope with the beginning signs until you decide to have surgery:
- Use a magnifying glass for additional help with reading
- Verify that your vision prescription for eyeglasses and contact lenses is accurate, and purchase new eyeglasses to keep your lens powers current
- Add brighter lighting in your home
- Reduce glare by wearing anti-glare sunglasses and/or a wide-brimmed hat when outdoors
- Limit your night-time driving
When is it time for cataract surgery?
Self-help actions may improve your quality of vision for a while, but eventually most people require cataract surgery to halt the deterioration of sight. Cataracts do not damage the eye, yet they can damage your quality of life as they worsen. Once cataracts get in the way of enjoying normal daily activities, such as driving or reading, it is usually time to consider surgery.
Visit Dr. Vaske, your Walmart eye doctor in Parker, CO, who specializes in management of ocular disease, to discuss whether or not surgery is appropriate. Together, we will consider the risks and benefits of this procedure.